MISSION AWARENESS SUPPORT TEAM
· While Columban mission awareness has many dimensions in Britain, MAST focuses on
parish-based mission appeals. It includes sharing our overseas mission experience,
raising mission issues in our present context, and eliciting support for Columban
mission. Over the years this work has helped greatly in keeping Columban mission
before the Church in Britain.
· Speaking at Sunday liturgies, which gives us access to a large number of people,
is a most important way of implementing the goals of MAST.
· Promotion of the Far East, through visits to parishes, is an essential means of
ongoing mission awareness.
· We are exploring other parish-based avenues for mission awareness. With this in
view, we have informed the parishes we are to visit that we are available this year
for talks to adult groups in the parish (JPIC groups, Adult Initiation groups, Rotary
clubs, Parent-Teacher associations, etc). We have also raised the possibility of
visiting schools, preferably secondary schools. We remain ambivalent about the value
of visiting primary schools, though we are willing to try it for a limited period
and then evaluate it.
· While we give priority to the dioceses assigned to Columbans for mission promotion,
we are open, where feasible, to speak to adult groups in other dioceses.
· We see an important role for Columban lay missionaries in the extended MAST outreach,
i.e., work with parish groups.
· We greatly appreciate the fact that other Columbans in the Region help out in mission
appeals when necessary. Furthermore, the contribution of Columbans from outside
the Region during the summer months is most helpful and we should renew our efforts
in requesting such people for mission appeal work.